Perfect profiles - Producing inner and outer profiles in seconds
GARANT profile spaces on the lathe
GARANT profile broaching on the lathe
Profile broaching (also: tumbling) is a machining process. In profile broaching, a profile broaching insert is used to produce the desired profile (hexagonal, square or special profiles) in one operation by means of a concentric movement.
Always the right system for economical production of internal and external profiles:
With a complete range for broaching profiles on lathes and machining centres, GARANT offers highly productive, dimensionally accurate and process-reliable tools for complete machining.
Since our GARANT broaching process can be used on both lathes and machining centres, all changeover costs are eliminated. Furthermore, additional (cost-intensive) manufacturing processes such as wire-cut EDM (electrical discharge machining) can be dispensed with.
Your benefits at a glance:
- Rapid production of profiles in one work step
- Reduction of set-up costs
- No need to change machines
- No outsourcing needed
Profile broaching (tumbling) procedure
Create hexagon, square and special profiles in seconds:
- The concentric movement (tumbling) quickly and safely creates the desired profile in just one working step.
- When machining on a CNC lathe, start at a low speed (n ≈ 100 1/min – 200 1/min) and high feed rate (f ≈ 0.1 mm/rev – 0.3 mm/rev).
- After a machining depth of approx. 0.5 mm, set the feed rate and the speed (also see table on page 806 of the brochure).
- Retract at a higher feed rate.
GARANT broaching internal profiles
Hexagon, square and Torx® profiles – created in seconds.
- Eccentric design: Suitable for CNC lathes and milling machines and for conventional machines.
- Wide variety of shank connections: Plain, morse taper and VDI shanks. Further connections on request.
- Flat face of the broaching tool holder: Increases the stability and process reliability.
- Hardened and ground: Precision for bearing seats and tumbling headstocks.
- All slotting tools TiN coated as standard.
- Collar on the slotting tool for additional stability.
- Drive flat on the slotting tool for clamping with high process reliability.
This is how to do it
Step 1 Preparation of the bore
To protect the cutting edge and reduce the machining time, select a preliminary bore diameter as large as possible. At larger bore diameters the bore contour remains visible on the faces. This does not impose any technical or qualitative restriction on the functionality of the profile.
Step 2 Profile broaching (tumbling)
When machining on a CNC lathe, start at a low speed (n approx. 100 rpm – 200 rpm) and high feed rate (f approx. 0.1 – 0.3 mm/rev). After a machining depth of approx. 0.5 mm, increase the feed rate and speed as shown in the table (see the product page for slotting tool). Retract at high feed rate.
Cooling lubricant is necessary. If the profile depth is small, external cooling is sufficient.
Step 3 Finish machining
Chips remaining in the blind hole can be removed if necessary by drilling out (the same diameter as the pre-drilled hole) or by relief groove.
Video GARANT profile broaching
Produce hexagonal, square and Torx® profiles in seconds with the new GARANT profile broaching tools.
The concentric movement (tumbling) quickly and safely creates the desired profile in just one working step.
Your benefits in an overview:
- Rapid production of profiles in one work step.
- Reduction of remodeling costs
- No need to change machine.
- No outsourcing needed.
GARANT profile slotting
- Precise profiles - even in materials with high tensile strengths.
- Square procedure: Four 90° steps.
More detailed information and guide values as well as information on programming cycles for slotting grooves and profiles can be found in our brochure.